Ross Castle

Built in the Sixteenth Century, the tower of Ross Castle was used by Myles O'Reilly. A plaque erected in the hall of the castle reads, "This ancient castle in which the celebrated Myles O'Reilly, known as The Slasher in 1644 past the night previous to the Battle of Feinna at which he was killed, haven fallen into ruin was partly restored by his lineal descendant Anna Marie Maria Dease O'Reilly in 1864

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Lough Sheelin

The morning after the investigation some of us walked down to the Lough Sheelin
Lough Sheelin is over 7kms long, more than 3kms wide and covers an area of 1800 hectares and borders three counties, Cavan, Meath and Westmeath. Lough Sheelin, from the words She Linn, meaning fairy pool, originates as legend has it from a fairy well, and was used by a village as its water supply. However, there was a restriction on the use of the well. The lid had to be replaced every time water was drawn from it. Nevertheless one day, a woman neglected to replace the lid and the waters rushed out, drowned the entire village and thus created the lake, writes Geraldine Lynch.Louth Sheelin is placed by ancient Irish sources in Cairbe Ui Gaibre which was a pre norman principality centred around Granard in Co. Longford. The largest island in the lake, Church Island has the remains of an early Christian oratory dating from the 400s. The island was then called Inis Oughter (upper island). In the late medieval period the lake was closely associated with the O’Reilly family. Crover Castle, which is built on a small island in the lake was reputedly erected by Thomas O’Reilly in the late 14th century. Thomas O’Reilly was the grandson of Giolla Iosa Rua, and pushed O’Reilly power into modern Co Meath. The castle is not far from the shore of Lough Sheelin and in the later Middle Ages the lake was seen as the border between the Irish and the English, the Anglo-Normans and the O’Reilly family. The village of the Mountnugent originally known as Daly’s Bridge in honour of the local landlord was on the border between the two.In the late 1300’s the O’Reillys moved the seat of their power to Tullymongan above Cavan town. As the O’Reilly clan were in the fortunate position to occupy the border between the Gaels and the Normans they were in a unique position to exploit all the advantages that living on the border provided. However, by the late 1500s the Tudor state was extending its power throughout Ireland. The border region of Breffni was among the first to feel the pressure, with the Anglo Norman Nugents and Plunketts from Meath beginning to assert their power in Breffni on behalf of the English crown, and as the century progressed the pressure became greater. In 1566 the O’Reilly family were compelled to sign the Treaty of Lough Sheelin with the Earl of Sussex. By 1584 Breffni was shired and became the county of Cavan. The O’Reilly power finally collapsed in the wake of the Nine Year War (1594-1603). In 1601 Edmund O’Reilly (of Kilnacrott) was killed in Cavan. He was the last of the family to hold the title “The O’Ragahallie’. (from
Scroll down to read all about the investigation!

What happened?

Equipped with a flashlight and an open mind (and a full stomach) we were ready to explore whatever lives/lived/stays/stayed insight the walls of Ross Castle. After a guided meditation the group embarked on a tour through all rooms of the castle.
Later on the group or often smaller groups went into different rooms hoping to be able to tune into the energies surrounding the place. Some saw scenes of times gone by from children playing and singing to a woman giving birth to an old lady wasting away in bed. There were some mysterious pictures taken from "light dots" photographed in the dark (The actual picture I am referring to is to big to be uploaded here) and electromagnetic readings taken.
While most rooms felt pleasant and calm one room in particular had a more negative edge to it and there were people intimidated by faces appearing in front of their eyes and by physically being held down or pushed down while others had difficulties breathing. There was a white mist floating the room and light sparks in one of the corners of the room.
A nearly full moon added to the charm of being in the castle. It is worth noticing that the paranormal investigation was professionally staged with full control over all activities and with the clear focus to observe and feel and not to interfere on any level.

Paranormal Investigation

Paranormal Consultant Mark Guerin and other people from the Psychic Development Circle as well as other individuals including the winner of a competition run by EAST COAST FM (11 people in total) made their way down the country to Ross Castle on November 4th 2006 for a paranormal investigation.

Ross Castle is frequently rented out to groups and individuals with a genuine interest in the paranormal. We sure weren´t the first as you can see here: